Sunday, September 22, 2013

2013 Fall Makeup Trend: Blue + Gold Eyes

Not unless you’re going to an 80’s costume party, blue eyeshadow has had a bad rep over the years for being tacky and just down right unflattering.

No. just, NO. 

But checking out 2013's fall makeup trends – you’ll notice blue eyeshadow making a come back. When done right, it can be worn beautifully for a night out or an event.  (def not date or church material haha)

Smokey eyes, cat eye liner and eyeshadow in blue family shades like periwinkle were are some of the makeup trends that caught my eye while browsing the NYFW 2013 fall collection.

Roberto Cavalli
Marc Jacobs
Jason Wu
Jason Wu

Jason Wu
Even Nicole Ritchie is rockin' the blue 
This look from Thakoon really caught my eye. Midnight blue eyeshadow and pretty gold glitter – I was in love.


If you’re adventurous enough, here’s a fun makeup trend to try out.

Check out my version after the jump!


I've already applied my base (foundation, concealer and powder) and I've also done my brows. 


1. When doing something dark/smokey I make it a point to dust some loose powder just below the eyes to catch fall out. Here I am using Ben Nye's Banana powder.

2. Using a flat brush, I used NYX's Jumbo pencil in Black Bean as a creamy base for the eyeshadow to stick on to. 

3. Immediately blend it out using a fluffy brush. It's okay if it's not perfect since this will just serve as a base.


  • Using a silver-bluish shade (here I am using MAC's mineralize eyeshadow in "Blue My Mind") gently pat it on the lids focusing on the inner portion.
  • Use a fluffy brush to blend it out.


  • Switching to a deep royal blue shade (here I am using 4U2 GLITZ 2 Color Eyeshadow) - use an eyeshadow brush to pat it in the outer V of your eyelid.
  • Blend the 2 shades together with a clean blending brush.
  • Dab on some gold shadow on the inner portion on the eyes to open them up.

1. To add some depth and warmth use a matte brown shade on the outer crease and blend well. (MAC in Brown Down)
2. Highlight your brow bone with a matte off white shadow like this one from Too Faced (Boudoir Eyes in "In the Buff").
3. Blend. Blend. Blend.

  • Line your upper lashline with a black liquid liner and curl your lashes + mascara.
  • Using a grayish-blue pencil (like Nichido in "Metal Blue") line your eyes (including the waterline) leaving the inner 1/4 bare.
  • Pat on the matte brown shadow followed by the royal blue and lastly the golden eyeshadow you previously used on the lower lashes to set the liner and prevent it from smudging. (what is continuous sentence construction? hahaha)
  • Blend with a q-tip.
Constipated awkward smile. 
  • Swipe off the excess powder and check for any eyeshadow fall out. 
  • Finish the rest of your face:

LIPS: MAC's cherish + crosswires (topped with gloss- na sana hindi ko na ginawa kasi the eyes are pretty shiny to start with. haha. Oh well)

CHEEKS: Contour your face using a matte brown powder and use a coral blush (Milani in Coralina)

CONTACT LENS: Crystal Contact lens (Peridot grey)

I've also added false lashes
  • For this look avoid using pinks and bright colors since you already have strong eyes - stick with nude lips (as look as is doesn't wash you out)
  • Corals and oranges are nice colors to work with blues.
  • Keep the rest of your face matte.

That's basically it! We're done! I know this look isn't for everyone but it is a nice trend to try if you're feeling a bit daring. Always remember to blend blend blend!


My camera died on me before I could take "pretty" pictures. HAHA!so here's an over exposed photo of my fez using my phone.

Hala sige nganga! emote. Okay lang umuulan naman. (ano daw?)

No comments:

Post a Comment